Beyond Samuel Stone, our family doesn’t have a record or any documentation of the Stone ancestoral line, but via some of my internet reseach, I did come across a posted lineage that may be the missing piece of that puzzle. On the Hamilton County New York Genweb site (part of the USGenWeb Project), and in the ‘Biographies’ section, Marcia Buffett uploaded the fruits of her research on a particular branch of the Stone family she has been researching. My ancestors, Samuel Stone and Abigail Corey are mentioned in her listing, seen below:
One Line of Descent of Daniel Stone of Salem, MA
Generation No. 1
1. DANIEL STONE (HUGH) was born April 28, 1677 in Andover, Mass, and died November 16, 1720 in Salem, Mass.
2. He married SARAH WALLIS July 18, 1699 in Salem, Mass., daughter of JOHN WALLIS and BRIDGET SHEPARD.
Child of DANIEL STONE and SARAH WALLIS is:
i. DANIEL STONE, b. November 10, 1700, Salem, Mass.
Generation No. 2
3. DANIEL STONE (DANIEL1, HUGHA) was born November 10, 1700 in Salem, Mass. He married
4. MARY WOOD January 11, 1725 in Hopkins, Mass, daughter of JOHN WOOD and ELIZABETH BUCKMINSTER.
Notes for DANIEL STONE:
Property in Hopkinton, deeds of Essex Co. 39, 23
Birth: Salem Vital Statistic Records
Children of DANIEL STONE and MARY WOOD are:
i. MARTHA STONE, b. November 12, 1726, Hopkinton, Mass; m. SAMUEL BOWKER, October 5, 1749, Hopkins, Mass.
ii. JOSIAH STONE, b. July 29, 1730, Hopkinton, Mass; d. abt. 1790, Colrain, Mass.
iii. DANIEL STONE, b. December 6, 1732, Hopkinton, Mass, d. 1759; m. HANNA (STONE).
iv. BENJAMIN STONE, b. November 14, 1742, Westborough, Mass.
v. SARAH STONE, b. June 11, 1745, Hopkinton, Mass.
vi. SAMUEL STONE, b. June 13, 1751, Hopkinton, Mass; m. PRUDENCE BASSETT, abt. 1777.
vii. BENJAMIN STONE, b July 9, 1738, Westborough, Mass; d. November 1 1741, Westborough, Mass.
Generation No. 3
3. JOSIAH STONE (DANIEL2, DANIEL1, HUGHA) was born July 29, 1730 in Hopkinton, Mass., and died abt. 1790 in Colrain, Mass.
4. He married MARY SANFORD March 12, 1760 in Mass, daughter of JOHN SANDORD and HULDAH WHEELOCK.
Notes for JOSIAH STONE:
Rev. War soldier 5th Hamps., Co. Was in the Five Days Rebellion, 1787.
Children of JOSIAH STONE and MARY SANFORD are:
i. ANNA STONE, b July 19, 1761, Oakham, Mass
ii. BENJAMIN STONE, b April 10, 1763, Oakham, Mass; d. July 5, 1839, Ballina Cazenovia, Madison Co, NY; m. HANNA MCHANESS, January 22, 1783, Colrain, Mass.
iii. MARTHA STONE, b. March 5, 1767, Oakham, Mass; d. February 3, 1853, Heath, Mass; m. ISSAC CHAPIN, May 10, 1804, Heath, Mass.
iv. ELI STONE, b. 1770, Oakham, Mass.; d. May 15, 1857, Northampton, Fulton Co, NY.
v. JOSEPH STONE, b. July 13, 1772, Colrain, Mass; d. August 19, 1841, Luzerne Warren Co, NY
vi. SARAH STONE, b. June 13, 1775, Colrain, Mass.
vii. HULDAH STONE, b. September, 1778, Colrain, Mass.
Generation No. 4
5. ELI STONE (JOSIAH3, DANIEL2, DANIEL1, HUGHA) was born 1770 in Oakham, Mass, and died May 15, 1857 in Northampton, Fulton Co, NY.
6. He married DEBORAH CAMPBELL 1789. ELI is buried in Main St. Cemetery, Northville, NY.
Notes for ELI STONE:
He was in Shay’s Insurrection
Children of ELI STONE and DEBORAH CAMPBELL are:
i. CYRUS STONE, b. abt 1793, Colraine, Mass; d. abt. 1880.
ii. SAMUEL STONE, b. August 7, 1801; m. ABIGAIL COREY.
iii. POLLY STONE, b. 1805, Northampton, Fulton Co, NY; d. July 11, 1887, Northampton, Hamilton Co, NY.
Information submitted by: Marica Buffett
Copyright © 2000: Marcia Buffett
So if this is indeed part of my lineage too, it can bee seen where Eli Thompson Stone gets his first name from (his grandfather). It would also show that at some point, Samuel Stone’s father, Eli, moved to Northampton, NY from Oakham, Mass., with the remaining ancestors all from Massachusettes. Samuel Stone may have been born in Mass. or NY–or somewhere else but he did end up in NY.